Sunday, May 5, 2013

An Ode to My Travel Buddy




The first post of my blog for this year is dedicated to a friend, a travel buddy, a fellow gastronome and music aficionado, a mentor, a confidante and a sister I never had, who bade farewell at the close of 2012. I started writing a piece on her but until now, I am not even halfway through it because there are times when I find myself in tears. In time, I will get to finish it but this will do for now.


Dearest 'te Che,

On a night when everyone was in a frenzy preparing to welcome the new year, you chose to slip away. It has been more than four months and never a day passes by when I don't think of you. It's a struggle dealing with the reality that I will no longer see you return to your work desk. That I will no longer receive your replies to my text messages or write you notes and missives that you would read. That I will no longer hear your voice on the other end of the line for our late-night chats. That I will no longer find you on the left side of your bed during sleepovers in your home. That I will no longer see you join in the fun and goof around in our usual escapades. Fast forward a bit, that you will no longer be there to stand as my maid of honor and be the godmother of my kids, if and when the time comes for me to get married and have a family of my own. Sigh!

It will take some time getting used to your absence. Travelling won't be the same without you but as the line of a Broadway song goes, "I'll be seeing you in all the old familiar places."

Let me add to that....

And in all the new territories I will be exploring.

I'll remember you as I indulge in our favorite palatable treats and savor the local flavors in new travel destinations.

I'll think of you as I take the plunge in exciting thrills and adventures, listen to songs we'd sing during road trips and see your favorite stuff come shopping time.

I'll find you in the morning sun (and how you would hide from the rays at sunrise by covering your face with your sheets when you want to sneak in an hour of sleep).

I'll be looking at the moon and be comforted by its glow because that's how you are to me.

As Mark Twain succinctly put it, “I have found out that there ain't no surer way to find out whether you like people or hate them than to travel with them.”

To my friend and my all-time favorite travel buddy, thank you for all the beautiful memories and fun misadventures. The journeys we took were definitely a blast!


(I just realized that we hosted the benefit dinner for you on this day a year ago.)


1 comment:

Maria Ganja said...

Very moving Sol, so sorry you lost a friend

Post a Comment

Thank you for visiting Traipsing Chronicles. I hope you will continue walking with me as I wander and see the world. Cheers!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...